Sunday, July 8, 2012

Boring Plastic to Wooden Fantastic

 If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I am seriously obsessed with glasses of all sorts. I usually buy really cheap ass ones so that if I lose them, I can easily replace them; for practical reasons, honestly. 

I have lots of glasses already but I've been looking for wooden ones. It's hard to find ones of good kind. When I find them though, it's a bit pricey. Sad. But the one boring afternoon, I found a way to make those cheap ass plastic frames into something more...special, I guess. After experimenting on broken frames, I finally found a way to make it look like it's made of wood!

Disassemble the frame of the glasses. Make sure that you go easy on the part of the frames that contain the lenses because they are prone to damage easily. And be sure to keep the screws! As you can see, the temple on the lower part has already been turned into wood.


In here, you will see the difference between the finished look and the unaltered one. The finished one on top has a matte and streaked look to it while the unaltered one on the bottom has a gloss that makes it shiny.

 Get two sandpapers of different roughness. One should be rougher than the other. I used a 120 and a 140. Ask your father, local carpenter, or a hardware store about this. 


As you can see, this is the 120 sandpaper. It's a bit rougher and you'll be using this to remove the gloss and make the frames a bit rougher.

 The 140 has a finer surface yet it's still rough, trust me. You'll be using this to create the "wood grain" which will finish the look of the wooden frames.

First things first. Please be careful when sanding the frames. You might scratch your skin and trust me, that's not a good thing. So what you do is you sand the frames in one direction. I repeat, IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY. No criss-cross sanding. You won't find a tree or wood that has a criss-cross grain, wouldn't you? 

Another thing, make sure to sand it under a stream of running water from a faucet. It makes sanding easier and gives a smoother finish. After that, dry it and it's done! It's that easy!



 A close up of the frames after sanding. It doesn't have shine anymore and it sorta looks organic in my opinion. The streaks give it a wooden feel.

A close-up on the bridge area. Make sure to sand all the small areas and corners!



And there you have it! You now have successfully converted your plastic frames into wooden ones! Now, go wear that awesome pair of specs and show the world how awesome your glasses are.  

Now, do me a favor and share this to your friends. God knows how many people are looking for affordable wooden glasses. HAHAHA Kidding.

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful! Just what I need! Will be looking for 120 and 140 sandpaper this week then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete