Thursday, August 9, 2012

I Mustache You A Question



As we all know, the monsoon winds and rains have been heavy upon us for the past few days. What I thought would be an awesome week of no classes and fun was only met half-way. Yep, we didn't get classes. But fun wasn't there either, sadly. Luckily for me, (and a vast majority of us, I believe) there was a roof above my head, food on our table, and my family's been with me through the whole ordeal. Others are a bit unluckier. Floods ravaged most of Metro Manila and along with it, the things that many people hold dear. 

They say every cloud has a silver lining. It's true in most cases; just like this one. It's funny how it takes one disaster to unite our country men to move and help out each other irregardless of social standing and class. I've seen people from all walks of life moving together, no prejudices, to help out others in need. I think a new twist to a common saying is needed: "Divided we fall, United we stand".


In the spirit of helping, all is not good news. As sad as it is, there are some people who take the opportunity to give more credit unto themselves than what they actually deserve. Using these times of calamity as a platform for popularity and fake integrity is a bit disturbing. No offense, but I've seen people seemingly shout out to the world that they're helping. I mean, it's not a bad thing. I guess it would be ok to get some credit for the good things you do. But that wasn't the case. I've seen people tweeting fake reports, wrong images, false news, and more other things that actually cause more distress than help. Tweeting images from Ondoy's time just to get 50 retweets? Spreading news about a widespread Meralco black out? Not cool man.


Forgive me for the harsh observations. But you can never deny these things. I applaud anonymous donors who give out without acknowledgement. It doesn't make them any greater than the people who also give out. However, it does make the sincerity of the help given much more believable.

How about you? Did you help out of sincerity? Or out of popularity?


I mustache you this question.


This is merely an observation. A cloud of thought that's been bugging my brain for the past few days. I mean no disrespect to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment